Sunday, March 11, 2007

Trucker Fleas


I am a planner, list maker, and pretty organized person. As a mother, wife and business owner, I have to have these skills to survive my daily routines. So in my planning for our trip to Nashville I of course printed the directions from Newnan to our hotel using Mapquest. I glanced them over and then laid them on the computer table. I did this Tuesday night by the way, and we didn't leave until Thursday. I of course had a vision of these directions still by the computer as we hit I-75 and was asking Valerie where to next. The Mapquest was not in the bag of car supplies. Man, never fails I forget something!

Being an Alabama girl, my glove compartment is full of maps from this lovely state, all from the early 90's, but hey, how much has actually changed since then? So we pull off at an exit to a HUGE truck stop. I mean it was like walking into the ultimate male mall. Cracked me up all the stuff they had for sale. We picked out our map ($6.00!!) and some gum. The rain wasn't upon us yet, but it sure was windy. We hop back in the truck and set our sites out for an antique mall surely within miles now. We are itching to find the junkers heaven, the new spot for our favorite finds. Valerie reaches down in the bag for the map and says to me, "Did you put smokes on the counter for us? Menthol at that?" Now, we both love a freebie, but the smokes put us in stitches for a good bit of our journey north! Look around our store, you might find how we have re- purposed this little green box into a riser, but just in case you were wondering, it's not for sale.

We came upon our first mall stop about 1 1/2 hours north of Newnan. We dropped a small penny in there, waited out the rain as long as we could and mushed on. Our favorite find there was a white Hoosier cabinet which now holds our Paddywax line and an authentic OUIJA board game! Look for this find in our Halloween display! By this time the weather was really bad. Enterprise, AL we heard had been ripped by the tornadoes. So Valerie took over the wheel and moved us northward. Our stomachs were telling us it was lunchtime, so at the next antique mall exit we stopped at another HUGE truck stop. The truck stop made us some super grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, which I have totally got Valerie hooked on.

The next mall had an assortment of junk to sift through, but not nearly as nice as the last. We did manage to find some beautiful butterflies in glass shadow boxes and some other little treasures. We were getting anxious on time and my Dad, who was in Nashville waiting for us was getting worried about the pending weather, so we headed straight into Nashville after this stop. Our ultimate goal was to get to the famous Heart of Country Antique Show. Well, we did just that.......

Oh, and in case you were wondering if any of the stops were the new mecca, the new Lakewood for us junkin' fleas, well you will just have to wait and see!

No comments: