Sunday, October 21, 2007

Handmade at the Flea

















We are always looking for new fun things we can make here at the Flea. Valerie found this idea and we got our fingers working! She took about 50 -100% wool sweaters, felted them, and then we cut, sewed and voila! Perfectly picked little flowers for your fall wardrobe! We have about 2 dozen made so far in colors ranging from browns to blues. So be sure to check them out next time you are in the store. They look great on your fall blazers and scarves. Actually they'd also be great little additions to the pillows on your couch or for window drapery tie backs.....the ideas are endless for these pretty little things. The hardest part is finding your favorite! Hey there... this is Valerie and I wanted to add my 2 cents in about the felting process. While washing a load of sweaters (on very high heat), I did a little garage selling in my neighborhood. When I got back, the detergent had fallen onto the floor, knocked down from the super spin cycle, and liquid soap was all over the floor.... 5 gallons to be exact. No problem, since I just started to wash the sweaters... I soaked up the soap with the 20+ sweaters lying on the floor. When the washer was free, I stuck about 5 in there to be washed. Oh heavens FOAM!! My machine looked like a rabid dog with foam oozing out all over the place. It was a sight to see. It took 2 complete days to wash the sweaters (1 at a time with a load of dirty laundry). My apologies to the State of Georgia as I am sure to have contributed to our current water shortage.

1 comment:

Paula #870 said...

Where in the world did you find any wool sweaters? I have been looking for some for several years! I love to felt and knit, too! By the way, I love your newsletter!