Saturday, December 05, 2009

Atlanta Show in Cabbagetown

So my best gal pal Jenni and I went up to Atlanta yesterday for two reasons. The shopping (of course) and to get me set up for my very first Atlanta Art Show at the Stacks Lofts in Cabbagetown.
These lofts are amazing. They were retro fitted into the very first textile mill in the South, built in 1881. Cabbagetown was built as the surrounding mill town. The mills' primary product was cotton bags for packaging agricultural products. The mill closed down in 1977. However, in 1996, the mill got renovated and is now the world's largest residential loft community.
The front of our loft where our show is held

In 2008 a tornado came through and destroyed parts of the lofts as seen here in this standing shell. The pool is now built on the other side of this structure.


Here is an adorable garden outside one of the loft buildings.

Here is a birdseye view of our loft which we are using to showcase the 11 wonderfully talented upcoming Encaustic Artists.

Here are my 6 paintings that I brought to the show. I have to be honest that I have been very lazy lately with the paint brush. I had wanted to bring new works but never got around to it. Hopefully after the New Year I can get back into the art studio.

The following pictures are my fellow artists. We call our group The Southeastern Encaustic Artists. All the members, except me, live in Atlanta so it makes it a little difficult to make it to the monthly meetings. I look forward to learning more from them though in the future. In our group we have Allison Miller, Adriana Blackard, Penny Treese, Dru Molen, Glenda Chamberlain, Edie Morton, Barbara Brenner, Rae Broyles, Judie Jacobs and Melody Trivisone.



So here is a little trivia for you.. why did they name the town Cabbagetown?? There are 3 possible explanations floating around. One is that back in 1881, the residents were mostly of Scots-Irish descent and they grew cabbages in their front yards. One could distinctly smell the odor of cooking cabbage in the neighborhood and soon the nickname Cabbagetown was born by the people outside the neighborhood. The 2nd explanation is that a train carrying a load of cabbages derailed by the mill and the residents quickly grabbed up all the cabbages and used them in every meal. The 3rd is that a local cab company gave nicknames to various neighborhoods that is served. The mill town was called Cabbagetown because of the constant smell of cooking cabbage. Either way it is a wonderful little town filled with artists, musicians, businesses, restaurants, shopping and lots of local flair.

Our show continues today from 2pm-8pm. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Katie Runnels said...

what an awesome venue!! And your paintings are wonderful!! Congrats!! xo