Sunday, July 25, 2010

Simple Times and Simple Decisions

I've made some simple decisions this week that have been long overdue.. if you remember my Taking a Rest post at the beginning of this year, you will recall that I had an important decision to make concerning The Vintage-Flea. But more on that later....

Today while I was helping the kids put together a lemonade stand, my daughter told me she was going to use the Crystal Light Lemonade Sachets for lemonade. I asked her how much was she planning on selling the lemonade for.. she replies 50cents. I then explained to her that a box of 6 packets cost around $2.30 so .38 per packet. Then you have to add the cost of cups, napkins, and then your time. Your time?? Well sitting outside on an excruciating hot day like today.. you better get compensated somehow.

So we opted for the koolaid packets instead that can make a whole gallon of Lemonade for less than 50 cents each. A smart business woman in the making!

(At last check the Lemonade possie had $46 in their tupperware container and even bigger smiles.) A store owner once blogged that owning an indie retail boutique is intense, interesting, sometimes magical and absolutely all-consuming. This brings me back to my point about precious time. I get asked frequently.. how do you have the time to do it all?? Well I can't do it all and I've come to the decision to NOT renew my lease in March 2011. So in 7 months there will either be a new owner taking over where I am leaving off or an empty building for a hopeful dreamer to start something new.


So my friends this is my last blog posting for The Vintage-Flea. Please, if you are not already, join our facebook fan page where I will be introducing new products for Fall. I plan on making the next 7 months the most fabulous ever and want you to be apart of it!!


The past 6 years have been a wonderful roller coaster ride and I want to thank you all for letting me share it with you.


Hope to see you soon at The Flea!!

4 comments:

southernjoy said...

Wish I had known about the lemonade stand... we would've made a stop!

Hate to hear the news about the store. I miss Paper Appointments, and I'll miss the Flea.

Sandy said...

Oh my gosh, I would hate to see the store close, but I understand about time zipping by. We moved to Newnan in 2008, and The Flea has been my favorite store downtown from day one. I take all my visitors there to show it off, and even my husband will come in with me (that speaks volumes). I will cross my fingers that someone else will take up the torch..... I hope you continue with your art, your work is beautiful.

Angela said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sad about the store closing. Like Sandy said, it is my favorite store to shop at in Newnan! But I understand that you want to enter a new phase of life. I will try and do all my shopping for the next few years while you're still around!

Little Mama said...

While I have never owned a store in my life, I can unabashedly relate to the decision you have made. I recently quit a wonderful job that I loved so very much. Even though it was only 19 hours a week and I got to work with some wonderful people and some amazing kids, I just couldn't do it all. And I wanted desperately to be home with my family again. I'll be in sometime soont to check out your fall merchandise!